Ramadan Kareem 2021
How to support your colleagues this Ramadan
Today marks the first day of Ramadan, a holy month observed by millions of Muslims around the world.
Ramadan occurs once a year and lasts approximately 30 days. Ramadan doesn’t happen at the same point each year as it follows the lunar calendar, so it shifts back by 10/11 days each year. During Ramadan, Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset, which in London will be approximately 17 hours a day .
While fasting is a big part of Ramadan, it’s not just about abstaining from food/drink. We spend more time reflecting and praying, spend more on charity and practice patience and kindness.
Ramadan is also a social month, with Muslim families and friends coming together in the evenings to break their fast with the meal called iftar. We also have special nightly prayers during this month called taraweeh which are usually prayed together in the mosque.
Here are some tips on how you can support your friends/colleagues during Ramadan:
- As this is our second Ramadan during a pandemic, a lot of the usual things that we would do are no longer safely possible. A Covid Ramadan can be quite lonely and isolating as we can’t see friends and family at the mosque and at gathers which can make the days feel longer. Do check in with your Muslim friends/colleagues during this month as they might not have access to the network they usually would.
- We don’t mind being around people eating/drinking so don’t apologise!
- Our sleeping hours/caffeine intake changes so we might seem tired. We definitely don’t expect any special treatment while fasting but it would be really appreciated to check our preferences for meeting hours.
- We will often have additional religious commitments during Ramadan and it may be especially important to perform prayers on time throughout the week so make sure to check diaries in case our usual break times are broken into little prayer breaks.
- It means a lot to us when you wish us a “Happy Ramadan/Ramadan Mubarak”.
Wishing you a blessed Ramadan that will inspire you and give you strength to win every challenge.